Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Schramsberg Blanc de Noirs Sparkling Wine

Name: Schramsberg Blanc de Noirs
Color: White
Varietal: Sparkling
Vintage: 2003
Country/State: California
Region: Various
Price: $30
Stars: 4 (out of 5)


We took a bottle of the Schramsberg Blanc de Noirs sparkling wine with us on our trip to St. Augustine to celebrate our 13th anniversary!! We drank it in our room without food (well, we did have some chocolates that we bought earlier in the day from Claude's Chocolates!)....

The wine had a fairly strong aroma (Krista could smell it from across the room after I opened it and poured some in our glasses). The nose was softly fruity and nutty. On the palate, I tasted creamy strawberries, peaches, and a doughy/nutty component. It was quite tasty, especially as the night went on. I don't have much experience with sparkling wines, so I don't have a whole lot to compare to. Being a 2003 vintage, I don't know if this wine was considered past its prime or not, but we enjoyed it for what it was -- the perfect accompaniment to our quiet anniversary celebration. I will always remember this wine for the role it played in our trip to St. Augustine.


I noted somewhere online that Wine Spectator rated the 2003 vintage 92 points.

No comments: