Sunday, November 28, 2010

Bodegas Castano Monastrell

Name: Bodegas Castano Monastrell
Color: Red
Varietal: Monastrell
Vintage: 2008
Country/State: Spain
Region: Yecla
Price: $10
Stars: 3.5 (out of 5)

We had this Spanish red last night with tacos, and it was OK. The nose left a little to be desired, at least for my taste. I picked up on some dark berries, but got a strong whiff of licorice and mint. The wine tasted primarily of dark fruits, but was a little hot -- the alcohol came through rather aggressively.

I finished the bottle the next night, and I liked it much more than I did on the first night. Maybe it just needed some time to mellow out, but it was much better the second night. Generally, we love Spanish wines (red and white), but this one was not one of our favorites.

No comments: