Saturday, April 25, 2009

Castello Banfi Centine

Name: Castello Banfi Centine
Color: Red
Varietal: Blend (Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot)
Vintage: 2006
Country/State: Italy
Region: Tuscany
Price: $12
Stars: 2.5 (out of 5)

I was really excited to try this wine based on several recommendations on blogs and newspaper Wine of the Week selections. On paper, this wine was one I really should have enjoyed. It's a red blend of Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot. I expected it to be a nice, smooth blend with good weight and structure. We opened the bottle last night and Krista and I each had a glass with our pizza. Unfortunately, it really didn't work for either of us. It almost seemed like something was off, but I can't exactly say what --- maybe it was too bitter? I don't know. I tried another glass later that night, hoping that some air would help, but it wasn't much better.

I got out the Vacu-Vin, sucked out the air, stuck the bottle in the fridge overnight, and tried another glass tonight after letting it sit in the glass for awhile to warm up. It's definitely a little better tonight. I can pick up the dark red fruits with some plum. The tannins are nice and gripping, but there's still a hint of some bitterness on the finish. Maybe it's just me. But for my taste, in this price range, I can think of several red blends that I have enjoyed much more.

No comments: