Sunday, April 5, 2009

RIP, Layne

I just wanted to note that today is the day that Layne Staley (Alice in Chains) passed away 7 years ago. Although his body was not found until April 20, it was determined that he died on the 5th. No other band and no other singer has had more of an impact on me than Alice in Chains and Layne. He packed such a powerful voice into his small, slight body. His voice is the most distinct voice in rock music, and every year it seems a new band trots out a singer who attempts to replicate it, but fails every time. When I hear all the garbage that accounts for rock music on the radio today, I can't help but think how much better things would be if Layne was still alive (along with Kurt Cobain, Shannon Hoon, and Andy Wood; 3 others that were taken long before their time).

I'll never forget the two times I was able to see AIC in concert, and I continue to listen to all of the amazing music they made together when Layne was alive.



Rest in peace...

No comments: