Friday, July 3, 2009

La Vieille Ferme Rose

Name: La Vieille Ferme
Color: Rose
Varietal: Blend (Cinsault/Grenache/Syrah)
Vintage: 2007
Country/State: France
Region: Rhone
Price: $7.50
Stars: 3.5 (out of 5)

I don't know what it is about Rose wines, but they just don't seem to do it for me. They aren't quite as crisp and refreshing as a white, and they aren't as bold and mouth filling as a red. We've enjoyed the white (Cotes du Luberon) and the red (Cotes du Ventoux) by La Vieille Ferme, so I was excited to try their Rose...It was quite tasty, mostly strawberry and raspberry, but it just felt like something was missing. I've a read a lot of articles recently proclaiming Rose as the wine for the summer. This one is very drinkable, but I prefer a Sauvignon Blanc or white blend as a cool, summertime wine. Krista was even more direct, refusing to even drink a glass after trying a couple of sips of mine. "What's the point?" was how she described it.

I guess we'll pull the plug on Rose wines for awhile. At some point, I want to try one from the Tavel region of France, a region that really specializes in Rose. But for now, we'll stick with the whites and the reds.

No comments: