Monday, March 1, 2010

d'Arenberg Laughing Magpie

Name: d'Arenberg Laughing Magpie
Color: Red
Varietal: Blend (Shiraz/Viognier)
Vintage: 2006
Country/State: Australia
Region: McLaren Valley
Price: $25
Stars: 4.5 (out of 5)

We had the Laughing Magpie by d'Arenberg last night with homemade "chicken Bryan", the Carrabba's dish that Krista had a recipe for. The chicken was terrific, grilled with goat cheese and a tasty white wine butter sauce.

The wine was excellent. My uncle bought this bottle for me for my birthday last year and we managed to hold on to it all year. So when my birthday rolled around this year, I decided to pop the cork. It's a blend of Shiraz (95%) and a dash of Viognier (5%). It consistently receives high scores from the Stephen Tanzers and Robert Parkers of the world, and the 2006 was no exception. It's a full-bodied wine with aromas of red and dark berries. The flavors are bursting with blackberries, blueberries, and a cherries, with a hint of chocolate at the long finish. It was delicious, and I can't wait to drink it again.

One note - this was the first wine we've drunk with the aid of my new Vinturi wine aerator, which I received as a birthday present from Krista and the boys. I didn't do a real side by side test, with and without the Vinturi, but I was impressed with the smoothness of the wine. The owner of my favorite local wine store highly recommended it (the aerator), and I'm happy to have one of my own!

No comments: