Saturday, November 21, 2009

Monte Antico Toscana

Name: Monte Antico
Color: Red
Varietal: Blend (Sangiovese/Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot)
Vintage: 2006
Country/State: Italy
Region: Tuscany
Price: $10
Stars: 4.5 (out of 5)

This was a very pleasant surprise. It's a terrific Italian blend of Sangiovese (85%) with some Cab and Merlot...I had read great reviews of this wine in the past, but this was my first bottle. I also noticed that it was recently named one of the Top 100 wines of the year by Wine Enthusiast.

I drank a couple of glasses with pizza on Friday night and finished the bottle tonight. It's medium bodied with great balance and good acidity. It drinks well with food and on its own. It's very tasty and really opens up as it gets some air. After about an hour of air, it was excellent. The nose isn't real strong but the taste is of juicy red berries, blackberries, with a hint of chocolate.

The Monte Antico is a great bargain that I'll be buying more of very soon.

Note: Krista tried a small glass, but couldn't get past the black licorice on the nose...She really didn't care for it at all. More for me!!

No comments: