Saturday, November 21, 2009

Wine Tasting Notes

I attended the weekly Friday night wine tasting at Ed's Fine Wines last night and was able to taste several new wines, including my first Torrontes. Here are a few brief notes:

  • Conquista Torrontes - my first Torrontes and I really liked it. I will definitely add this one to my list...Very distinct taste, crisp and clean. White fruit and citrus. A little sweetness. Approx. $9.
  • White Haven Sauvignon Blanc -I normally really like New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs from Marlborough, but this one just didn't do it for me. On the nose, I picked up bell pepper or some other vegetal aroma that I didn't care for. I couldn't get past it...It just wasn't my taste.
  • Renwood Viognier -Really delicious. My favorite white of the tasting...I bought a bottle to enjoy at home.
  • Renwood Zinfandel -Not bad for a $10 Zin...cherry, blueberry, blackberry...very smooth, medium bodied, easy drinking.
  • Broke Ass Red -blend of Malbec and Syrah...OK, not much to get excited about...cheap
  • MacMurray Ranch Pinot Noir -Wow!! I really enjoyed this one and will add it to my list. Light and juicy with cherry, cranberry, and strawberry flavors, plus a little earth. I think it's about $15...Excellent quality for the price.
  • Conquista Malbec -not bad for the price (about $10), dark color and dark berry flavors, medium bodied, kind of soft and easy drinking.
  • Villa San Juliette Chorum Red -really nice blend of Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon from Paso Robles, about $20, will add to my list to buy...pretty full-bodied but well balanced...rich, ripe dark fruit with a big, full mouthfeel...I really liked this one.
  • Villa San Juliette Petite Sirah -not bad at all...fairly full-bodied and tasty, lush and rich with blueberry and other dark berry flavors...I was really impressed by the Villa San Juliette wines and will make a point to buy some soon.

No comments: