Friday, May 8, 2009

Mirassou Pinot Noir

Name: Mirassou
Color: Red
Varietal: Pinot Noir
Vintage: 2007
Country/State: California
Region: Various
Price: $8
Stars: 4 (out of 5)

I was really prepared to not like this wine based on the fact that "cheap" and "Pinot Noir" aren't usually a good match. I was worried that it would be dull, flat, or something worse. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The Mirassou Pinot Noir was much better than I expected for the price. This was an excellent value (less than $10) for a very tasty wine.

The aroma was not very complex, but still really nice. I smelled mostly red fruits - cherry, strawberry, with some vanilla. The taste was all strawberry with some vanilla-like creaminess. We drank this wine with marinated chicken breasts and stuffing. I also drank a couple of glasses without food and really enjoyed it. I would definitely buy this wine again. It was very smooth and balanced, light bodied, and easy drinking. Mark West makes a Pinot Noir in this price range that I've read good things about. That's probably the next one I'll try.

It really makes me want to try some higher end Pinots to see what all the fuss is about.

No comments: