Monday, May 25, 2009

Winzer Krems Gruner Veltliner

Name: Winzer Krems Reid Sandgrube
Color: White
Varietal: Gruner Veltliner
Vintage: 2007
Country/State: Austria
Region: Kremstal
Price: $10
Stars: 3.5 (out of 5)

We had this wine Saturday night with chicken and bruschetta pasta...This was our first Gruner Veltliner and we had very different opinions on it. Krista did not like it at all, saying that it was too tart...I really enjoyed it, however. It seemed very well balanced, with a distinctive white fruit taste (apples, pears, peaches) and great minerality. The medium body provided a nice feel and weight in the mouth. I nearly finished the bottle later that night after dinner as we watched "Marley & Me" for the first time. I'm not going to lie -- it got a little dusty at Blue and Wine headquarters. I don't know if it was the wine or the fact that we have a nine year old Lab (mix) of our own...I'm sure it was a combination of both.

On it's own, I would probably rate this wine higher, but since my wife and I enjoy drinking wine together and she really didn't like it, I had to dock it by a 1/2 point or so.

No comments: