Saturday, May 16, 2009

Martin Codax Albarino

Name: Martin Codax
Color: White
Varietal: Albarino
Vintage: 2007
Country/State: Spain
Region: Rias Baixas
Price: $12
Stars: 3.5 (out of 5)

We had the 2006 vintage of this wine back in March and thought it was excellent, so I was really excited about trying the 2007...We drank a couple of glasses last night with a dinner of tilapia stuffed with crab meat. The wine paired well with the fish, but I just didn't enjoy it as much as I remembered liking the '06. Maybe the '07 is just too young?? I don't know. It was still very citrusy and refreshing. It just seemed a little more watery to me. I remember the '06 as having a really nice full mouthfeel, but the '07 just seemed a little, well, flat by comparison.

I finished the last couple of glasses tonight without food, and it was much better than last night...However, it still seemed to be lacking the fullness that I really enjoyed that last time we had this wine. I want to try other Albarinos in the future, especially the Nora and the Burgans, both of which I've heard good things about.

No comments: